Thursday, August 18, 2011

Sharing ~ Sunshine on a rainy day

Have you ever had a day when everything seemed to go wrong, and nothing seemed to go right? Not too long ago I was having one of those days. I was discouraged, weary, and plain sad. My focus was on me, me, me. After all, no one else was experiencing the same trials of life as I was.

I expressed my downcast state to my mother, hoping for some pity. Instead, she said, "I heard ***** (one of my friend, name is not taken for secrecy) was having a difficult time too. Mom said to me that Why don't you take some gifts and meet him this afternoon?"I didn't really want to, but decided that I didn't want to go back to my other problems just yet. I took a gift and arranged it. Then somehow I made up mind and took a card with a sunflower on it and wrote a small note of empathy.

That afternoon I dropped by my friend's house. I went to the door and rang the bell. Soon, he (my friend) came to the door and looked at me in surprise for the unexpected visit. Before he could say anything I rushed, "I heard you were having a hard day and decided to bring you something. I hope your day goes better."

The look that came over my friend's face was one that I could never put into words. It was as if a darkened sky was suddenly lit with the golden rays of the sun; it was as if in that small act, his day was brightened.

I got back to my bike and for some amazing reason, I felt a lot better myself. That day I experienced the truth that my MOM attempted to describe: "Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others, cannot keep it from themselves."

I hope such days continue in my life and yours too....

No comments:

Post a Comment